Student Travel Grants
The IEEE Industrial Applications Society (IAS) and the IEEE Power Electronics Society (PELS) have generously provided 30 student travel grants ($500 each) to support their student members to attend ECCE 2018. To qualify for the travel grant, you must be 1) an PELS or IAS student member; (2) a presenting author (oral or poster); (3) willing to perform some volunteer duties during the conference; (4) fully registered for the conference. Awards are selected by a PELS/IAS committee based on the qualification and financial needs of the applicant. A check of $500 will be issued to the awardees during the conference with W-9 (US citizens or permanent residents) or W-8 (others) tax form submission.
Complete the Application Form by July 30 to be considered for one of these awards.
Student Project Demonstrations
The Student Demonstration Lounge is located in Exhibit Hall A of the Oregon Convention Center (OCC). Please proceed to the rear of the hall to set up your station. Each person will have (1) 6ft table, (1) power strip, (1) poster board, (2) chairs. You will find your paper title at your corresponding station.
The poster boards provided are 8’ (w) x 4’. (h). The recommended maximum poster size is 7.5’ (w) x 3.5 (h).
Onsite printing is not available. The closest FedEx Print Center is located at 221 SW Alder ST, Portland, OR 97204. Please check the website for store hours and services.
Student Demo Set-Up
Set-Up Time – Monday, September 24th
Set-Up Time – 3:00PM – 4:30PM
*This is prior to general opening. All badges will be checked prior to entry. Please let them know that you are a demo winner to gain entrance.
Student Demo Hours
Monday, September 24th – 4:30PM – 7:00PM
Tuesday, September 25th – 2:30PM – 5:00PM
Student Volunteer Information
Please see ECCE 2018 Student Volunteer Onsite Information.
Student Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteers are needed during each session to act as Session Assistants and also for a few special events as Event Assistants. Below is brief description of roles and responsibilities. Assistants are not limited to the number of sessions/events for which to volunteer and we suggest that assistants volunteer for at least 2-3 sessions/events. The volunteer opportunity is limited to students only.
Session Assistant – Session Assistants will be required to act as room monitors, audiovisual assistants, and runners for their respective sessions. Please plan to arrive 30 minutes prior to the session and stay 10 minutes after the session.
- Check that each attendee possesses a badge before they enter the room. There is no need to check names, but if you see an attendee without a badge, stop them, and ask that they show you their conference badge, or request that they register prior to attending the sessions.
- Provide the Session Chair assistance when needed.
- Provide audiovisual assistance to presenters and Session Chairs when needed
- If a problem arises with which you cannot immediately assist, contact the roaming AV Tech, or Conference Managers.
Provide assistance to conference managers where needed, this may include, but is not limited to the following:
- Downloading presenter presentations onto session computers
- Traffic control
- Badge check
- Room counts
Please note that you may be asked to act as Session Assistant for more than one session if necessary.
Event Assistant – In addition to sessions, we also need volunteers to help at a few of our special events. These events may include the Monday Reception/Dinner, Wednesday Banquet and Thursday Awards Luncheon. Responsibilities at these functions will vary from checking name badges, traffic control, handing out information and other tasks. Please plan to arrive 20 minutes prior to the posted time.
Sign up and Registration:
- All volunteers will receive complimentary ECCE T-Shirt.
- Volunteers who sign up for at least 2 sessions receive free admission to all technical sessions on the day(s) of the sessions they are signed up for. Technical session admission only allows admittance into that day’s technical sessions and does not allow attendance to the Exhibit Hall, meals or other events outside the sessions. If volunteers would like to attend all events, they must sign up and pay for the full event student registration.
How do I sign up?
- If interested in volunteering, please contact Dong Dong, firstname.lastname@example.org.